Sunday, October 28, 2012

ID Badge Verse - 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Fall is in the air!  The wind chimes on my front porch and deck have been tinkling all weekend and the beautiful Autumn leaves are begging to be jumped in!  This is such a beautiful season to enjoy!

gwhizteacher, idbadge verse, 1 corinthians 13:4-8

This week I am going to meditate (hopefully outside) on the "love chapter," 1 Corinthians 13.  This chapter gives a pretty tall order for the things that love is...kind and patient, and the things that love it not...proud, boastful, rude, self-seeking, easily angered.  The part that really sticks out to me is that "love keeps no record of wrongs."

When I was a little girl my father used to tell me to "forgive and forget" whenever I was having spats with my three sisters.  We used to play a game called "starting over" where we would completely forgive one another and move forward as if nothing had happened.  I think that this was a very valuable lesson to learn at a young age.  

The Father forgives us and separates our sin from us as far as the east is from the west.  He forgives and forgets; fully and completely.  He asks us to do the same.  Because we are human, this is a hard thing to do.  I find that I can easily forgive but the forgetting part is pretty difficult.  It may seem that we have forgotten wrong doing against us, but as soon a person slights us in any way again, their past wrongdoings are foremost in our minds.  We have to remind ourselves that the past is in the past and we don't need to keep a record of wrongs.  I struggle with this and imagine I always will.  It is hard to "forget" hurt.  I try to remember that I may hurt people (hopefully unintentionally) and I would want to be fully forgiven for my wrongdoings.  I need to extend the same forgive and forget attitude that I would hope others extend to me when I do something foolish in a moment of selfishness or pride.  

This week I hope to be patient and kind to others, to remain thankful instead of boastful, and to keep no record of wrongs.  I hope that I can model this attitude for my students.  Download the verse for the week, 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, and meditate on the qualities of love you can extend to those you serve throughout the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment