Monday, September 24, 2012

Fastest Transition Ever

I like to maximize instructional time and minimize transitions.  In fact, truth be told, I HATE transitions.  I understand that they are important when moving from one academic subject to the next.  They give students' brains and bodies time to prepare for what's next.  I am a big fan of brain breaks during academic transitions.

But..what about the transition to lunch or recess?  I don't see the need to use any more class time than necessary for these transitions.  The learning time is just too valuable!  When I want my students to move very quickly from their space to a "moving line" (a line that starts moving out the door as quickly as it is formed) I use this chant to help create a sense of urgency.  
fastest transition ever, gwhizteacher, line up chant
I'm not even sure where I got it, but I've been using it for years.  I say 2, 4, 6, 8 and the students make a quick and quiet line and we move seamlessly (usually) out the door.  It's great for fire drills, too! Since we use it every day, the students have memorized it.  I gave them a copy for their fluency folder to practice during read to self.  Download the fastest transition ever and get a few extra minutes to read to your class!

1 comment: